- Silicon PhotonicsSilicon PhotonicsA precise, fast, and highly automated alignment of photonic elements and glass fibers is necessary in order to make the quality assurance and production of SiPH components and PICs economically viable. PI's tried and tested active alignment and routines are faster than conventional methods by up to two orders of magnitude.
- Technology of Active AlignmentTechnology of Active AlignmentThe development and manufacturing of photonic devices reminds us in many ways of the early years of the semiconductor industry in the mid-1980s. PI was a young company at the time and already deeply integrated into the production tools being deployed in early fabs around the world. But these tools were usually homemade by in-house or captive local systems integrators. The vast ecosystem of toolmakers that the industry enjoys today had yet to be born. The situation is similar in photonics today: the toolmaker ecosystem is just emerging. While the front-end manufacturing of photonic-enabled wafers can rely on the existing microlithography infrastructure, the industry for the back-end processes is just starting to develop. Some excellent tools and toolmakers have already emerged, and in-house test/assembly machine design remains an option for many silicon photonics device manufacturers.
- The Missing LinkThe Missing LinkAs an example of the fresh innovations emerging for photonics-device assembly, TEGEMA B.V. (NL), the multidisciplinary system integrator, has developed a modular machine platform for the automated assembly of optical components, in particular of photonically integrated circuits (PICs). The system, which works with submicron precision, can grow from tasks in research and development of PICs up to their series production thanks to its intelligent architecture.
- SiPh Wafer ProbingSiPh Wafer ProbingThe integration of photonic structures or elements on a silicon chip presents, already at wafer level, a multitude of new challenges for the testing technology of these elements. In order to transmit the design of the structure, from the concept through its qualification up to series production, a very large amount of performance data of the respective element is required.
- Free Space Optical CommunicationFree Space Optical CommunicationBeam stabilizing systems are a core technology for realizing free space communication network. Interferences in beam steering, caused by vibrations, temperature fluctuations, etc., must be compensated. Piezo tip/tilt mirror systems from PI offer excellent specifications, are tested in space, and can be adapted to customer-specific requirements.
- Technology of Active Alignment
- MicroscopyMicroscopyThe resolution of light microscopes increases steadily and technologies such as atomic force microcopy or scanning transmission electron microscopy achieve resolutions up to the subatomic range. Therefore, the demands on positioning techniques of samples and optics are also increasing. PI offers both customized and standard solutions for this task.
- Configure your Microscope StageConfigure your Microscope StageThe precise and fast movement of the sample or the objective play a crucial role for achieving good results when working with light microscopes. The demands on stages and scanners are manifold. In addition to the position resolution, which directly correlates with the optical resolution of the microscope, velocity and dynamics are other elemental requirements for the motion system.
- Open Source Microscopy ProjectsOpen Source Microscopy ProjectsMicroscopy is one of the technologies that is constantly reinventing itself. The first microscopes from the early 17th century were very simple in design, but countless developments have steadily increased their performance.
- Electron MicroscopyElectron MicroscopyApplications for electron microscopy cover a broad spectrum from semiconductor inspection through materials research to molecular biology research. In conventional TEM as well as in the newer Cryo-TEM, which was awarded the Nobel Prize in 2017, the samples have to be nanopositioned with high precision in an XYZ coordinate and then tilted around one axis to produce a certain number of transmission images for image reconstruction.
- Atomic Force MicroscopyAtomic Force MicroscopyAtomic force microscopy supplies researchers and developers extremely high resolution topographical data from a large number of different minerals, polymers, mixtures, composite materials or biological tissue. This technology, developed in the 1980s, enables users to obtain subatomic resolved images of sample surfaces.
- Configure your Microscope Stage
- IVD In Vitro DiagnosticsIVD In Vitro DiagnosticsIn in vitro analysis, the safety and speed of the sample examination are extremely important. Positioning solutions from PI play a crucial role here. With high dynamics, precision, and large travel ranges, they fulfill the key requirements in system development. And with a highly reliable functionality they make utilization in a 24/7 mode possible.
- Genome SequencingGenome SequencingBlue, brown, or green eyes? Which hair color? Which illnesses may affect us? Whose child am I? All of this information and much more is stored, or at least set, in our genes. In crime novels, but also in real life, genetic analysis is called upon for advice when it comes to finding an answer to the question, "Who did it?". The "genetic fingerprint" has become an often consulted and unmistakable evidence. Last but not least, genome analysis holds the key to groundbreaking discoveries for many health-related questions.
- Genome Sequencing
- Surgical RobotsSurgical RobotsProgress in medical research, diagnostics, and therapy requires high-performance, precise motion and positioning systems. High positioning precision, compact dimensions, low energy consumption, speed, and absolute reliability are just some of the requirements for the drives. Thanks to its comprehensive portfolio, PI always has the right solution at hand.
- EndoscopyEndoscopyModern medical technology focuses on developing therapies that cause as little discomfort to patients as possible. Endoscopes that allow minimally invasive surgery, make an important contribution to this, for example, in laparoscopy. Especially during medical interventions, the demand for focused and detailed image information is of the highest priority in order to achieve the best possible chances of success.
- Surgical Robots: Patient Couch for RadiotherapyPatient Couch for RadiotherapyIn radiotherapy, it is particularly important to ensure that healthy tissues are protected. This is why, it is absolutely necessary to position the patient precisely during radiotherapy. Patient couches that employ hexapods from PI are very well suited for this task.
- AstronomyAstronomyMotion and positioning systems with which mirror elements or subreflectors are moved, for example, are crucial factors for the functionality of large telescopes, probes, and experiments. PI has many years of experience, extensive know-how, and competencies in the development and production of suitable solutions.
- ALMA-ArrayALMA-ArrayA spectacular, albeit essentially impossible image caused a worldwide sensation on April 10, 2019: The first ever "photograph" of a black hole. 55 million light years away at the center of the M87 galaxy. The unbelievably strong gravitational pull means that even light cannot escape. But, thanks to the Event Horizon Telescope - a combination of eight radio telescopes - the participating researchers outsmarted physics to a certain extent and for the first time, created an image of a black hole's shadow. This shadow is cast by the radiation from the distorted light while being irrevocably absorbed by the black hole.
- SemiconductorSemiconductorFor decades, no other product has shaped and changed our lives as much as the omnipresent microchips. Whether computers in all their variants, cell phones and smartphones, game consoles, cars and airplanes, yes, now even the home refrigerator, oven or iron and toaster – nothing works anymore without these jack-of-all-trades made of doped silicon. PI has played a large part in this success story.
On a Cosmic Research Trip: ALMA, ELT, Solar Orbiter,...
Even in the earliest history, humans were incredibly fascinated by space. Cave paintings or the Nebra sky disk bear witness of this. The question, "What are those shimmering colors in the night sky?" developed into the question of how galaxies, stars, and planets developed and will be developing in the future. Scientists try to solve these mysteries with the help of highly sensitive systems, such as the Atacama Large Millimeter/Submillimeter Array telescope (ALMA), the Solar Orbiter, or, in the future, the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT).
Motion and positioning systems with which mirror elements or subreflectors are moved, for example, are crucial factors for the functionality of large telescopes, probes, and experiments. In addition to precision and dynamics, the functioning of the components and subsystems even under extreme environmental conditions is also a crucial requirement - and in outer space projects, also the ability to withstand the high accelerations during rocket launch.
Based on its many years of experience, PI offers extensive know-how and competence in the development and production of suitable solutions. Learn more about the astronomy projects PI is involved in.